"But if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea', and it would obey you." -Luke 17:6

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Saying Goodbye Is Never Easy...

So today was a sad day...I had to say farewell to a very good friend of mine.  Someone who I helped to mentor when she first graduated from nursing school, who I've gotten to know so well over the last few years, and who has touched my heart and really showed me how to be faithful through life's trials.

This person was a newlywed, fresh out of college, and had so much to look forward to in life when she found out she had cancer.  At the same time (while being prepped for surgery for the biopsy), she found out she was pregnant with her first baby.  Although she was shocked at both life-altering findings, and wondered how she could be so sick when she was so healthy, I never heard her complain or question God.  After being diagnosed with lymphoma, a doctor recommended she abort the baby so she could start chemotherapy.  She refused and sought out another doctor's opinion.  Luckily, she found a doctor who was willing to monitor her condition while she was pregnant, and nine months later, she gave birth to a beautiful, healthy baby girl...her little miracle.

Two years later, after going through two rounds of chemotherapy, a bone marrow transplant, and one grueling round of radiation, her cancer is currently in remission.  God has faithfully brought her through this trial, and because of her trust in Him, He has blessed her by giving her the opportunity to be a fantastic mommy to that same, sweet little girl others wanted her to abort to save her own life.

Her faith has gotten so much stronger over the years, and she continues to thank God for how He is healing her body and how He has used her through this diagnosis.  She is honestly someone I look up to, and someone I use an example of how to fully trust in the Lord.  

I am so sad to see her moving with her sweet family to Savannah, but I know God is going to keep using her for His glory no matter where she is.  Because of her strength and faithfulness during a time when giving up seemed like the easier thing to do, He will continue to shower her with blessings.  The Lord has big, big plans for her, and I can't wait to see what they are!

I'll miss you, Niki, but I'll never forget how you have encouraged me to stay faithful and showed me how to walk with God through the trials.  Thank you for blessing me in such an amazing way!  I love you, sweet pea! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment