"But if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea', and it would obey you." -Luke 17:6

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Let's Do Some Math

How about if we do a little math...sound like fun?  Great!  Here we go!

22 + 18 = ?

Any takers?  No?  Ok, I'll give you the answer...it's 40 (yes, F-O-R-T-Y), and it's the number of eggs that are growing inside me as we speak!  Ahhhhh!  How amazing is that?!  It just goes to show that just when we think we have God's plan figured out, He puts another spin on it to make us go, "Whaaaat?!" I love that He keeps us guessing! ;)

As you can probably guess, this number came as a bit of a shock to my husband and I.  At my appointment this morning, I assumed the usual position, Dr T did the usual u/s, and spouted off the usual long stream of numbers...but this time, they were almost all within the 17-21mm range that we were hoping for (only a few 16mm's, which likely will catch up)!  I attempted to keep count this time, but got overwhelmed by all of the glorious measurements, so I had to stop and silently praise my God for what He was doing inside me!  It wasn't until we got into the car to go home that my husband said, "So did you keep count?"  I said, "No, I lost count on the right ovary again...did you?"  He replied, matter-of-factly, "Yep.  Twenty-two and eighteen."  My mouth dropped open and I managed to say, "Added together???! Like, as in FORTY eggs??!"  He just laughed and said yes.  This definitely confirms that NOTHING is impossible with God!

Here's another number: 4700.  This is what my estradiol level was today.  Not great, since Dr T was hoping the Femara had brought it down to an acceptable 2000-3000 range, but he said without taking the Femara, we probably would be looking at a number closer to 6000, which was definitely too high.  With forty eggs baking in my ovaries, 4700 is not too shabby!  I say this because each egg produces estradiol as they mature...usually roughly 200 pg/ml when fully mature. So technically my level could have been around 8000...yikes!

So, I'm sure you're wondering what in the world we are going to do with forty eggs.  Good question!  Chances are, we will not be left with too many leftovers, and if we are, they will be frozen for future use (or donation).  I know that seems odd, since we have forty potential contestants going into the game, but the end results (as with everything else dealing with IVF) is based on another numbers game.  Wanna play that one, too?

Let's say I have thirty-six mature follies ready to go on the morning of the egg retrieval (I'll use that number instead of forty because it easier to divide using my math equation).  Here's how the possible end results come about:

-Out of all 36 follies, only roughly 2/3 of these will actually contain mature eggs.  This makes 24 eggs.

-All 24 eggs undergo the fertilization process, but usually only 1/2 actually become fertilized.  Now we're down to 12.

-Out of these little guys, only about 1/2 are expected to survive the 5-day waiting game to see if they divide and become healthy little embryos.  We're at 6 now.

-We would only transfer 2 at a time (Dr T says, "Only put in what you're okay with getting out!" lol), but typically the implantation rate of embryos is only 50%.  So, possibly 1 embryo will implant, which equals 1 baby.  (This is a number I'm definitely okay with!)

-That leaves 4 possibly embryos to freeze and use at a later date.  Usually, about 1/2 survive the "defrosting", so we could be left with 2 embryos to either use for Baby #2 or to donate to another couple in need.

See what I mean?  Forty seems like a lot to start with, but when you do the math using the odds given, the final number is juuuust right!

Although I say it's a game of chance and numbers, I honestly believe that it has everything to do with God's will for our lives.  He grew all forty of these follies, and He knows exactly how many will make it in the end, and how many, if any, will turn into our precious little miracle.  I'm turning my body, my trust, and my forty follies over to Him, and I'm so glad He's in control! :)

So tonight, at precisely 8:30pm, I will take my Ovidrel (250) shot, which should trigger ovulation. I am also taking another Femara (2.5mg pill) to help lower my estradiol levels.  Exactly 36 hours later, Tuesday morning, Dr T will do the egg retrieval.  We have to be at the office at 7am Tuesday, and the procedure should be done around 8:30am.

I am nervous, but at the same time, I am so excited to see what God has planned next!  1 Thessalonians 5:18 says, "Give thanks in ALL circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." That's just what I intend to do, praise Him for the good and the bad, come what may!

2 comments:

  1. This is some wild ride your on!! I had no idea so much was involved in IVF. So you are giving me quite an education. I am praying for you right now and will be praying tomorrow as well. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure is! With lots and twists and turns along the way! Thank you for the prayers...I'll keep you all posted with the details of the retrieval once we get home tomorrow. Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete