"But if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea', and it would obey you." -Luke 17:6

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Our Egg Retrieval

We did it!  Everything went smoothly and now I back at home parked in front of the TV in my big, fluffy chair.  Although I should be sleeping off the rest of the anesthesia, I couldn't wait to fill you all in on our big day!  (So forgive me if some words are misspelled or don't make sense...it's the drugs :) )

Here are some details about this morning's adventure:

We arrived at 7am and they were ready and waiting for me in the pre-op area.  I put on my super sexy hospital gown and Beth and Kim (both of whom I adore) started my IV.  The anesthesiologist came in and we played a quick game of 20 Questions, which I obviously answered correctly, because he then left and came back with the goods (Versed).  I said goodbye to my hubby, and they wheeled me off to the OR.  I think the meds were already kicking in before we got there, because I believe I said, "Here we go! Leggo my eggos!" during the ride.  Classic.  lol

Once I got into the room, I don't remember much.  They asked me to scoot over to the OR table and put my legs into the stirrups.  I remember one more detail after that, but I'll spare you guys the details of that.  I received my Fentanyl and Propofol and I was in la-la land...for all of 15 minutes.

I woke up when they wheeled me back into the recovery area.  My husband was there and I immediately asked him to take my picture with his phone...I don't know why, I suppose I thought I looked like a total fashionista or something.  I would post the pic, but I look like a drunk, so I'll keep that incriminating evidence to myself. ;)  I honestly thought this was all happening before the procedure, and I asked when they were going to take me back.  I then proceeded to tell my hubs (three times) exactly what I remember.  (That just goes to show you how good those meds are!)  He told me that Dr T came to see him right after the procedure and that he seemed very pleased--I think this sobered me up a little, because then I started to get a little nervous, shaky, and ready for the results!

Dr T came in after I was a little more alert and gave us the good news:  he was able to retrieve 26 eggs!  I mean, seriously, how good is our God???!  (And if you remember from Sunday's post, we expected to collect about 2/3 of the total number of follicles...which just happens to be right around 26! That's cray cray!)  I asked about the egg quality, and he said they would know more about this after they fertilized them all later today, and we can expect a call sometime tomorrow morning with the details of our embryos' progress.  Eek!  I can't wait!

So that's our egg retrieval in a nutshell!  Amazing, isn't it??  I truly appreciate everyone's thoughts, prayers, comments, and messages...please keep them up, because we're still in a very delicate part of this process!  I am going to try not to focus on what may happen in these next 3-5 days (before they transfer the embryos back inside me), but instead focus on how faithful and loving God is, and how He is blessing us with every step of this journey!   "Give thanks to God, for He is good; His love ensures forever." (1 Chronicles 16:34)

No comments:

Post a Comment