"But if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea', and it would obey you." -Luke 17:6

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Let's Do This Thaaang!

The day I have been waiting for has finally arrived!  After an hour and a half long wait at Dr T's office, four vials of blood and a rather uncomfortable u/s, I am pleased to report that I have my orders to start the Lupron injections tonight!  Woohoo!

Dr T did my u/s today (usually it's done by the u/s tech) so he could check my "antral follicle count" (the number of itty-bitty 2-8mm follies in the ovaries at the start of the cycle), which can give him a better guess as to how many eggs we have to work with this cycle and how they might respond to the medications.  He was very pleased with the results: 12 in the right ovary and "way more than 12" in the left!  (I do have PCOS, so Dr T said that may be why I have a higher number of antrals.)  So what does this all mean? Well, apparently my total number (24+) suggests that I will respond very well to the meds, should produce a larger number of mature follies, and have a higher chance of actually getting pregnant.  Can I get a hallelujah?!  PTL!

The only bad news is that if all of these teeny tiny eggs turn into nice mature eggs, this puts me at a higher risk for something called "ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome", which is when the ovaries swell up bigger than usual (think larger than cantaloupes), and can lead to serious problems.  Sounds like fun, doesn't it?  Umm...no thanks!  That's why Dr T wants me to come in every other day to keep tabs on these growing ovaries/follicles, and that's a-okay with me!  

So, tonight I will take my Lupron 10 units (as a shot in my stomach), and then starting Saturday night, I'll add the Gonal-F 225 units to my regimen (an additional shot).  I'll repeat this every night until I am seen back in the office Monday morning (that's when the every-other-day appointments will start) for another u/s and blood work.  I am planning on "sticking" (hehehe, that's a nurse joke) with the 9pm time frame, since the nurse said the shots should be taken at close to the same time every night.  Oooh, lookie there--it's time for my first shot!  Let's do this thaaang!  Prayers, please (and thank you)! 

2 comments:

  1. Hope your first shot went well! Thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sarah...you're so sweet! The shot was a success--yay! I missed you when I came by the office yesterday to finish those pesky ICD-9's, but I'll be back by sometime next week on one of my MD appt days. Hope to see you then!

    ReplyDelete