"But if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea', and it would obey you." -Luke 17:6

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Today's Thought-Provoking Devotional

Ahhh....Saturday.  My favorite day of the whole week!  Sometimes I spend it resting, sometimes hanging out with friends and family, and sometimes (more often than I'd like) I spend it running around like a headless chicken.  This particularly beautiful Saturday is being spent---you guessed it---doing the latter!  I've been a busy little bee this morning and am crossing things off my never-ending To Do List.  But hey, at least I'm being productive, right?? :)

My favorite way to start off my Saturdays (or any day of the week, actually!) is to read my devotional (I'm still reading Jesus Lives, by Sarah Young).  It never fails to bless my morning and get my heart and mind in the right place!

This morning's message was especially directed to me; it was referring to Matthew 7:7, where the Lord says, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened for you." My favorite part of today's message says: "I encourage you to pray freely...Nonetheless, when you bring me your petitions, you need to keep in mind that depth of My wisdom and knowledge.  This will protect you from being presumptuous or manipulative.  I never fail to hear your prayers and answer them wisely, but I do not always grant your petitions---no matter how heartfelt they may be and how utterly right they may seem.  If it becomes clear that My will differs from what you have requested, the best response is to say simply, 'Yes, Jesus.'  This will draw you closer to Me, even in the midst of your disappointment.  Though My ways---My methods, My paths---may be mysterious from your perspective, I assure you they are good."

Many people assume that if you ask God for something, He will give it to you.  Not necessarily.  God isn't like a vending machine that you can push a button on and expect what you want to fall at your feet.  He does always answer our prayers, but we have to remember that sometimes He answers them with a "no".  It doesn't mean God doesn't love us or wants to punish us; it just means that what we're asking for isn't part of His flawless plan for us!  But just because He doesn't give us exactly what we asked for, that doesn't mean He doesn't bless us in other ways.  Sometimes, these blessings take us by surprise and totally surpass what we originally prayed for!  We just have to remember that God knows what He's doing; this isn't His first rodeo! ;)

I have to remind myself of this on a daily basis.  As much as we hope and pray that this next FET will work, and as hard as it is to think about another disappointment, I know that God may (once again) say "no".  It may not be in His plan for us this year, or it may not be in His plan for us at all.  This doesn't mean I won't continue to go down this path the Father is leading me on; I know He knows where this path will lead, and He wouldn't have put me on it for no reason!  My heartfelt prayer is that if we are not meant to be parents, He will take this burning desire from our hearts and replace it with peace.  And that, no matter what, I will continue to serve Him through this journey by remaining faithful, sharing His amazing grace and mercy with others, and seeking His will for my life!



No comments:

Post a Comment