"But if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea', and it would obey you." -Luke 17:6

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Thirty-Eight Week Appointment...The Whole Shabang

Alrighty...a decision has been made, y'all!  Would anyone care to know what decision that might be?  I figured you might...;)

First of all, let me fill you in on how my appointment went yesterday.

I went in with a minor headache and just feeling "blah" (which I guess isn't that uncommon for a thirty-eight week pregnant chick, lol).  My blood pressure was 133/82, which is a little high for me, but Dr S didn't seem to think it was high enough for concern.  My weight had gone down since my last appointment (probably because I can't fit much food in this belly of mine anymore!), so my overall weight gain is at nineteen pounds right now, which isn't too shabby.  Again, he didn't seem concerned with this since Reagan is such a "healthy-sized" baby per the ultrasound.

Reagan's heart rate was a steady 140-150's and sounded beautiful...music to my ears!  Dr S didn't measure my belly this week because he said I measure small anyway, and since the u/s says she's growing appropriately, there's really no reason to.  His only real comment about her weight according to the u/s from last week was that 6.5 pounds is "average for her gestational age", so he isn't concerned that she's going to be too big or too small once she arrives.  He also mentioned again that it's just a rough estimate and can be off by a good pound or two either way.  Let's just hope she's not a 8.5 pound (or bigger) baby or she may not be able to fit through the exit that's been assigned to her! LOL

So then came the cervical check...ugh.  I'm getting more used to it, so it didn't hurt quite as badly, but it still wasn't comfortable either!  It seemed to me he didn't have to reach as far back as he did before, so I'm hoping that means my cervix has moved forward some (to an "anterior" rather than "posterior" position), but he didn't mention it if he noticed a difference.  My cervix is still closed but approximately 70% effaced ("thinned out").  He said it was difficult to give an exact measurement of effacement because he can't get his finger inside the cervix itself, but that's his guess.  Hey, it's better than nothing!

I went into this appointment hoping that I'd be at least thinned out enough for him to offer me an induction for next week.  Apparently, though, I was incorrect in my understanding of what a "favorable cervix" means.  It doesn't just mean "thin enough", but also soft and dilated.  Bummer.  So, in figuring this out, I realized I was going to go home with no end in sight...again.  And then came the tears.  I know, I know...but I couldn't help it!  I didn't bawl like a baby, but there were a few big fat alligator tears that rolled down my cheeks.  Ugh.  Hormones!!

Seeing this patheticness, Dr S said the words I've been dying to hear for weeks now: "I can see this has taken an emotional toll on you...so, if you were willing, I could put you into the hospital next week--when you're thirty-nine weeks--and try to induce you."  Say whaaaaaaat???!  I almost jumped off the table and hugged him, but since I was naked from the waist down, I refrained. lol

We talked about what this would entail (admitting me at night and placing a medication in my cervix to help it soften and dilate, then starting another medication in my IV the next morning to bring on contractions), and I told him that I would have to talk to the hubs because this was a big decision.  He said to go ahead and make my routine appointment for next Tuesday and then call if we decided to go ahead with the induction.  Needless to say, I left the office feeling pretty optimistic!  

Then...I talked to my husband.  He's the realistic thinker of the two of us.  He likes to have all the facts laid out and make an "educated decision", so I knew he'd want to ponder this option a bit.  He did a little research and we discussed all of the pros and cons associated with doing the induction this early and with me not being dilated at all (which increases the risk of a c-section by a lot).  In the end, and after lots of prayer, he confessed he just didn't feel comfortable with it at this time.  And since I feel that we should both feel at peace about something like this if it's the path God wants us to take, we decided to wait.  Yes, this made me a little sad.  Believe me, I am READY to have this baby!  BUT I couldn't shake the feeling that God was telling me "not now" through my husband.  And when God speaks, I listen! :)

Now, we weren't throwing the idea of an induction out the window entirely.  We just felt like God was telling us to wait just a little longer.  We both agreed to pray some more about it overnight and see where we felt led to go from here.  This morning, we made the compromise (after all, marriage is all about compromise, right??) to call and schedule an induction for the following week, which would put me at forty weeks.  I will keep my appointment for next Tuesday (at 10:45am), see what's happening in the land down under, and then adjust the scheduled induction date based off what my cervix is looking like.  If I'm dilated and it looks like I'm ready to go earlier, we may bump the date up and do it next week (which is a lot less risky, given that my cervix is changing on it's own already).  If I'm NOT dilated, we'll proceed with the prescheduled date.  We both feel like this gives my body another full week to make some change and prepare itself for labor a little more.  Not a bad compromise, eh? ;)

So, I called and talked to Katie, Dr S's nurse, and...we have a date!  EEEEK!  As it stands right now, if there is no change at my visit next week, I'll be admitted to the hospital Sunday night, July 28th, and we'll get this party started with the cervical medication.  If there IS a change (but not enough to bump the induction up to next week) I'll be admitted VERY early Monday morning, the 29th, and we'll skip straight to the IV medication.  How exciting is that???!  Ahhhhhh!!!

Of course, Miss Priss could decide to come on her own before then, which is absolutely fine by me! Heck, she can come tonight and I'd be happy as a clam! lol  I just feel better knowing that there's an end in sight and that we can be fairly certain (Lord willing) that she'll be here by the 29th!  That means only TWELVE days till we meet our baby girl!!  O. M. Geezers.

Well that's it--that's all my exciting news about our decision!  I'll be back Saturday for our usual Pregnancy Progress Update (the second to last one--gah!).  Till then, please keep those prayers coming!   We love you all, and we can't wait to share this amazing blessing with you guys!

Verse of the Day (which definitely helped to guide us in our decision making!): "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you." (Psalm 32:8)

(Side Note: Sorry if this sounds like a lot of rambling...I'm having a little trouble getting my words out in a coherent manner tonight.  Again, I blame hormones, lol.)



No comments:

Post a Comment