"But if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea', and it would obey you." -Luke 17:6

Monday, July 23, 2012

Stepping Stones for God

Good evening, guys!

I have to be honest...I wasn't planning on blogging today.  I had a very busy Monday, and feel a little "blah", but then a few minutes ago, my husband's aunt sent me a very sweet and encouraging email, and I decided I couldn't go to bed without writing a little something!  Thanks for the motivation, Aunt Dottie!

Although my day was quite hectic and long, there was one particular visit with a patient that really blessed my day and kept me going...isn't it funny how God knows exactly when you need a little "blessing dust" sprinkled on you?? ;)

Ok, so I have a patient that I have been seeing for a few weeks now, and she is battling breast cancer, along with depression and anxiety. My first visit with her, after listening to her journey and current trials, I felt God prompting me to ask her if she was a Christian.  Although I know God would have used me to witness to her if she had said no, I was thrilled when she said yes!

At that moment, I silently began to pray for God to speak through me, and to encourage this sweet lady with His love.  I told her that although we can't see it now, God's plan is unfolding just the way He wants it to, and that through this terrible illness, He is going to use her to His glory.  We ended up talking for a long time about God's love and how He works through us, which always gets my glory-bumps rising! 

Well, as I was sitting there talking to her, I felt the need to help this woman in more than just a "nursey" sort of way...I wanted to do something for her because I wanted to, and not because it was part of the job.  So I asked her if there were any two things she would ask someone to do for her (whether it be housekeeping, making her a small meal, etc), what would they be.  After some persuading to let me help her, she told me she would love for me to vacuum, and that she had put her vacuum in the living room two weeks ago, hoping someone would come by and offer to do it for her, but no one ever came. She also asked if I could clean off the island in her kitchen so she would feel more organized.  (Of course, this was right up my OCD alley! lol)  She was so stinking excited about having the floor and the island clean, you would have thought I had given her a million dollars! On my way out the door, I felt like I had really done something that day.  Not for money, and not for recognition or a pat on the back, but to show Christ's love to this wonderful person.  When she asked me why I did what I did, I told her just that.  I left that day feeling truly blessed, and thanking God that He had chosen me, of all people, to share His love with one of His children. 

I've been lucky enough to see her at least once a week since then, and every time I am headed out to see her, I pray that the Lord continues to pour His love out through me, in everything that I say and do. Our visits are always wonderful, and I always leave feeling refreshed from our talks about the Father!

Well, today, when I went to see her, she was feeling a little down.  She told me she was overwhelmed and wasn't quite sure what God wanted from her.  I had brought along two of my older devotionals (both by Sarah Young) for her to read in her spare time, and when I opened one of them, the message was so perfect, I had to share it!  I don't quite remember it word for word, but it was something along these lines: "When you're feeling down and hopeless, remember that you are right where I want you.  I designed that path that you are walking down, and I am not only paving the way ahead of you, but I am also right there beside you, holding your hand every step of the way."  After reading that out loud, we both had to take a minute to marvel in God's message.  We were reminded, once again, of the Father's awesome plan for us and of His unconditional love for us, during the good times and the bad.  Even though she was having a bad day, and even though mine was chaotic, by the time I left, God had filled up both of our spiritual gas tanks, and we were ready to tackle the rest of the day!

During the last few weeks, while visiting with this patient, I have come to understand this clearer: God uses us in mysterious ways!  It may be through interactions at the store, doctor's office, in the break room at work, or in a patient's home...through actions as small as holding a door open, saying "God bless you", or doing odd chores for someone who can't do for themeselves...but each time He uses us, He is paving the way to something so much bigger.  Don't you want to be a stepping stone for God?? I know I do! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment